Thursday, February 6, 2014

100th Anniversary Quilt, Greenlee County Cattle Growers


 I volunteered to make this quilt for the 100th anniversary of the Greenlee County Cattle Growers.  It will be auctioned on February 15, 2014 at the centennial celebration at the Greenlee County Fair Grounds.

This quilt sold for $1000 to Judge Monica Stauffer, superior court judge and a rancher in our county. (See photo at end of post.)

As president of the Greenlee County Cowbelles, I knew I was going to have to help with the celebration.  I decided that I would help the way I wanted to, so I volunteered to make this quilt.  The first day I joined Cowbelles 7 years ago I bought two blocks on the quilt for$10 each, backwards BL and 7L.  These are our brands.  I waited and waited, but no one ever made the quilt.  When we were planning the celebration, I decided to offer to make the quilt myself and so I did.
Click on any of the photos for a close-up view.
I wanted fabric that everyone would be proud to have in their homes.  My sister, Adele, had seen this fabric at the store in Miami, AZ so I went to "Julies'" and bought it.  The color isn't true in any of these photos.  It is a taupe color.  I like the barb wire on the fabric and there is barb wire quilted into the quiet strip.
 After collecting brands, I realized there were to many for the pattern I chose, so our 7L brand went on the back of the quilt.  It is sort of like a signature on the back.  I think it fits well there.  The pattern is "Circle of Nine" by Janet Houts and Jean Ann Wright.  I had to adjust the pattern to fit my design, but credit for the layout goes to them.
 I asked my quilter, Kathy Wolfe, to stipple around the brands.  I wanted the brands to stand out.  
 Kathy chose to quilt different cowboy designs in the inner taupe sections.
This gives an idea of what the back looks like.
A picture of the full back.
No quilt is finished without a label.
I'll post later what it sold for.
We presented the quilt to Judge Stauffer at our May, Greenlee County Cowbelle Meeting.
Colleen Lunt, Judge Monica Stauffer, and a guest. 

3 comments:

quilteddogs said...

Really nice. You should be extremely pleased.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering how you created these blocks? Applique using heat and bond and stitching around the letters or hand turned appliqu e or are they pieced? Very beautiful quilt!

Colleen said...

It was applique with a heat and bond type product, then sewn around with a zigzag stitch with invisible thread.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails